Sunday, May 8, 2011

Getting Ready for CSA Season

Last year, my wife and I joined the Centennial CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program for the summer and fall. Before then, I did not know anything about CSA programs in the area, and discovered that there were several options available in Howard County. The Centennial CSA program of 2010 was a great experience for us. Each week, we got to select eight different vegetables/fruits from things that were in season. In addition, each week we got a dozen eggs and a loaf of bread and every other week, a meat. It was great to have such a good supply of fresh vegetables in the fridge to use throughout the growing season. We became a little overloaded with eggs. They were fresh and delicious. However, we tend not to eat too many eggs during the week. I really like to support local farmers and to know where my food is grown. I was raised on a farm in Kentucky and know all about the hard work it takes to raise a good quality crop.

Last year's CSA products were provided by Martin Herb Farm. This year, they have switched to another provider, the Zahradka Farm, which is located in Essex, Maryland in Baltimore County. The farm has been managed by four generations of the family and follows organic guidelines for raising its crops. I am looking forward to trying a variety of fruit and veggies, and coming up with new ways to use the products. I plan to share some ideas for recipes throughout the summer and fall. This year, I am hoping for more fresh fruit, tomatoes, and different kinds of beans or peas. I am starting to get hungry just thinking about all the possibilities.

This year's CSA is organized differently than last. There is more flexibility in what you buy and you can specify if you want to buy a small, medium, or large share. The eggs, bread, and meats are available as options and you can get these weekly or biweekly. The CSA runs weekly from the first week of June until Thanksgiving. The pickup location is at the First Evangelical Lutheran Church parking lot on Frederick Road in Ellicott City on Thursdays from 4:00-6:30. Also you will get to pick your selections there on the spot based on what they have for the day. It is still not too late to sign up. If interested, here is a link to the CSA page. Looking forward to June 2 for the first pick-up.

5 comments:

  1. Great writeup Mark. I've ready about CSA's that deliver in DC and Baltimore, but none that covered Howard County (although I'll admit, I only began searching about a month ago). So I was glad to come across your blog posting today. Hopefully I'm not too late to get in on this (reading the site now regarding their shares).

    If you don't mind, I'd like to pick your brain on this though. With you doing the pickup and being able to select what you want, do the choices get thin if you get there closer to 6pm as opposed to 4pm? I work down in Silver Spring and would probably get there more around 5:30pm if I signed up. I'd hate to sign up for this and be left with limited choices when I arrive because everyone was able to get there at 4pm and get all the good stuff.

    Thanks for a great posting!!!

    -Brent

    ReplyDelete
  2. The format for this years is different than last. Last year, we selected the products we wanted on the website each weekend. Items were already packaged for us to pick up. So I too am a little concerned about how this will work and if all the good stuff will be gone early. When we got the initial email about this year's program, here is what they said about the issue:

    "this farm will set up at pick up as a "mini farmer's market" rather than packing items in individual crates. This means that all of their produce which is available for the week will be displayed with each item having its own section. You will pick out the number of items based on the type of share you have purchased. - Members will be able to hand select which produce to bring home! Depending on the growing season there should be enough produce for members to choose multiples of the same items, just as we did last year, and the variety of produce, including fruit, is quite promising! And George hopes to bring enough so that if you are a "late arrival" things won't be picked over. The list of what they will be bringing will be posted on their blog/webpage a day or two before pick up so you can plan ahead."

    The farm last year was very responsive to complaints. If any of your items were bad, all you had to do is let them know and you got a replacement the following week. I imagine that if it supply becomes a problem, there will be several complaints and they may have to bring a larger supply. However, some of this is weather dependent and the quantity of the harvest each week. Since I am a CSA member and not part of the farm or the Centennial CSA organization, I don't know precisely how they will deal with this. You could contact the farm directly if you want more information.

    Good luck and hope you join or find another CSA that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brent-- I belong to the One Straw Farm CSA and this is our fourth year doing it. We pick up at the MOMs in Jessup, where they have pick up until 8 pm. I've actually rushed it at 8:05 and still had my pick of veggies. You can find more info at onestrawfarm.com; I also did a weekly writeup on my blog at http://www.sarahsaysblog.com/search/label/CSA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the info Mark and Sarah. These both look so great and I appreciate you both taking the time to share your experiences.

    My wife and decided to go with the Zahradka Farm CSA. I signed up today and used you as our reference Mark. The One Straw Farms CSA looked great, but with it only being the two of us, we were unsure we'd be able to eat a full share. It was tempting though considering they do a pickup at MOM in Jessup and we are there all the time. The locations for the half share pickup from OSF weren't super convenient.

    I really appreciate your help and advice here. Thanks so much!!

    -Brent

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to post about your CSA, Mark! I'll be interested to hear how you like the Zahradka Farm CSA.

    Like Sarah, we also do One Straw Farm and pick-up at MOM's in Jessup. We were really happy with the produce and found that on the occasions where we had extra, family and friends were more than happy to take it off our hands. So glad that CSA's are gaining popularity.

    ReplyDelete